Friday, February 5, 2010

Cows, Calves, and Babies

Let me start by saying that this is my way of looking at nature and relating it to my life, so it might sound weird but it's perfectly normal in my crazy mind!!

Everyday on my way to work I drive past a dairy. I love to look at the cows on the dairy. I'm not sure why, but they are captivating. At the dairy they separate the cows that are just making milk from those that are going to have their babies soon. Now, I know that in order for us to have milk in the store a cow has to have a baby and I also know that the calf has to be taken away from her in order for us to get the milk. I guess I've never really thought about this process before until when I was driving to work one day a mom cow and a baby cow were in a truck on their way somewhere. We had the windows rolled down, so at the stop light you could hear the calf kinda crying. I'm not sure if it was crying or not, but it was making some noise. My husband offered some encouragement that maybe they were going to take the mom and baby to get some shots or to make sure they were healthy. I'm not sure where they were going, but I doubt it was to make sure they were healthy.

Yesterday I was driving past the dairy (I love when the light is backed up and I get to see the cows better, I know it's crazy) and I noticed a cow had recently had a calf. The calf was still laying down on the ground and the cow was gently licking it. Then it hit me: That cow, in the next day or so is going to have that calf taken away from her and she's going to continue to produce milk because of that calf. Now, I know they are not human and don't feel like we do. But, it reminded me of everyone who has lost a child due to miscarriage, still birth, or illness. We were pregnant, the baby came out of us and even though that baby is gone we still carry around some symptoms of that baby. I know for a fact that my hormones are crazy even though my miscarriage was over 2 months ago. I sometimes wonder if the cow is sad that her baby is taken away from her. I feel like my baby was taken away from me far to early. I know I didn't get to see my baby alive and well like the cow did but she's going to lose that baby just like I did.

I'm not saying that you should quit drinking milk by any means (though I don't eat beef or pork for that matter, again I'm not at all preaching). I was just happy (and that probably sounds weird) that I was able to relate what I was feeling, to something else. For every woman a miscarriage is different; my situation was probably very different from any other woman but the outcome was the same.

I feel sorry for those cows. I wish there was a way they could keep their babies and be milked for our nourishment. I know that God is so so very good! I love that He teaches me things even when I don't realize that it's Him that is teaching me. I love that He uses something I love, like cows, to teach me that He sees me and I'm not alone. I'm still believing for 3 healthy babies, in particular, in 2010. I've been very specific with God in my request. I've asked that they be born in 2010 and that the moms would be completely healthy and that there would be no complications with moms or babies.

I've also been thinking that I'd like a puppy. I told DH that I thought it might help me to get over this whole baby thing. I know it won't help completely, but it will take my mind off of it, at least for a while. I'm thinking about it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment